ADVOCACY & COMMUNICATIONS ADVISOR
- Opportunity to shine in a key organisational role
- Contribute to the success of Canterbury businesses
- Join a dynamic, creative, collaborative team
The Chamber is undergoing an exciting period of growth and change and we’re looking for an experienced Advocacy & Communications Advisor to be part of it.
As our Advocacy & Communications Advisor, you will play a key role in helping us represent the needs and views of Canterbury businesses and influence policy decisions at local and central government levels.
Reporting to the Marketing Manager and working closely with the Chamber’s Chief Executive, the Advocacy & Communications Advisor will ensure that The Chamber communicates the needs and policy views of our members to the public and to decision-makers in a timely, effective, and influential manner.
Key areas of responsibility include:
- Development and implementation of The Chamber’s advocacy strategy and programme
- Ensuring that The Chamber takes a proactive approach to advocacy issues and significant policy announcements
- Stakeholder engagement – develop and maintain contacts and relationships with Chamber stakeholders and ensure they are kept informed on advocacy positioning and outcomes
- Media relations – planned and in-the-moment
- Content development – advocacy and general Chamber messaging
The successful candidate will have:
- 5-7 years’ experience with local or national government or advocacy work in a trade association, campaign, grassroots or other organisation
- Stakeholder engagement experience in a political and/or business context
- Experience in writing speeches and presentations for others
- Experience and knowledge of regulatory and/or legislative processes
- Understanding of and interest in the business environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills using a variety of media including presentation software
- Excellent Interpersonal skills
- Ability to develop a strong and trusted network
- Ability to employ a variety of communications channels including digital and social media
- Experience in a fast-paced environment and the ability to prioritise proactive and reactive work effectively
In return, we’ll offer you:
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a small and ambitious team in a progressive purpose led organisation as the home and voice of Canterbury business and we will offer you:
- The opportunity to take the lead in your area of expertise for our organisation
- A supportive and empowering culture – we love to see our people excel and their ideas come to life through our values: We are Real; We Own It; We focus on Impact; We ♥ our Customers
- The opportunity to be part of an organisation that is a key part of Canterbury’s business future
- A flexible environment that focuses on impact and outcomes
- Great learning and development opportunities through our comprehensive training programme and engagement across our network
- The opportunity to develop and deliver on your own ideas
If this sounds like you, we would love to hear from you. Please email [email protected] for the job description, before submitting your CV and cover letter via Seek. The closing date is 5pm 10 February 2023. If you have any questions about the role, please contact Michelle West at [email protected].