Managing Sick Leave and Medical Incapacity
Difficult situations can arise where employees are unable to work due to illness or injury. Frequent or extended periods of absence can disrupt the workplace, and it may not be possible to hold a job open indefinitely.
In this half day course, discover your obligations around sick leave, including longer term illness and injury. Find out how you can support your employees in their return to work. Discuss when and how you can terminate employment for medical incapacity.
You’ll learn about:
- Finding sick leave entitlements under legislation
- Good practice on asking for and using medical information
- Dealing with concerns about “sickies” and abuse of sick leave
- How to manage absenteeism and intermittent sickness
- Good practice in supporting staff on their return to work
- Exploring an employer’s obligations to be reasonable and act in good faith
- Considerations before terminating for medical incapacity
- Finding out how to reduce the number of sick days through employee engagement
- Practical tips on medical provisions in employment agreements and case scenarios
So you can:
- Develop good practice around sickness procedures that aligns with the law
- Manage procedures around sickness and medical incapacity
- Comply with holidays and employment law legislation
- Compliance with employment law on sick leave
- Reduced risk of personal grievance or employment relationship problems
- Greater confidence in managing difficult staffing issues
- Improved productivity and reduced absenteeism
Who is this course for?
This course is aimed at providing all business owners, managers, employers, Human Resources and administrators seeking practical guidance on managing staff and sick leave. It is also useful for business professionals, such as lawyers, who want to keep their clients informed on best practice for their business.
Tuesday 1 May 2018
9.00am to 12.30pm
The Chamber, 57 Kilmore Street
Julia is a qualified employment lawyer, who specialises in people management training to help businesses create better workplaces. As director of KiwiBoss, she delivers training on human resources, employment relations, and privacy law. Julia trains corporate groups in-house, and regularly presents webinars for CCH Learning. She is an employment columnist for the NZ Herald.
$280.00 + GST
$560.00 + GST